Today’s lifestyle is largely sedentary and reliant on comfortable furniture like recliners. While these furniture pieces can make it easier to relax, prolonged periods of sitting in a recliner can cause shoulder pain for many people.
Can A Recliner Really Cause Shoulder Pain? – Brief Overview
Well, using proper sitting posture, having proper lumbar support, and choosing a recliner with a smooth reclining mechanism that can help you easily change the reclined position can reduce the risk of a sedentary lifestyle.
As a neurologist and part-time blogger at Furntire Ruler X, I’d like to discuss why and how using a recliner can cause shoulder pain, different positions of sitting in a recliner, and exercises that can help alleviate neck and shoulder pain.
Let’s Dive Deeper When Can A Recliner Cause Shoulder Pain?
Improper posture while reclining in a recliner can result in an unnatural position of your body which can cause pressure on the nerves and muscles of your neck, back, and shoulders. This, in turn, can lead to discomfort in these areas and muscle tension headaches. This can lead to discomfort in these areas as well as muscle tension headaches.
On the other hand, bad ergonomics in a recliner can also cause shoulder pain.
Sitting in an unsupportive and uncomfortable chair can strain the muscles of your neck, shoulder, and back, leading to pain in those areas. This is why it’s important to find the right recliner for neck and shoulder pain that will provide enough support while still being comfortable.
Bio Waves’ research suggests that sitting in the same position for too long or having poor posture can lead to upper back and shoulder pain. They recommend taking breaks or adjusting one’s sitting position throughout the day to prevent such pain.
How Can I Reduce Shoulder Pain If I Feel It While Sitting Or Reclining In A Recliner?
If you are experiencing shoulder pain while sitting or reclining in a recliner, there are several ways to alleviate the discomfort. Why a recliner is bad for your neck and shoulders is sometimes related to your sitting posture, so make sure to keep the following points in mind!
- Maintain good posture while seated: This means keeping your back straight and shoulders pulled back, not slouching or leaning too far forward.
- Invest In An Ergonomic Recliner: An ergonomic recliner should have smooth reclining movements and comfortable lumbar support to relieve back pain. Achieving proper spinal alignment decline the risk of shoulder pain and neck issues.
- Take Frequent Breaks: Taking breaks throughout the day can help reduce muscle tension and alleviate pain in your shoulders and back.
- Use A Heat pad: Applying heat to your shoulder muscles can help reduce tension and relax the area, providing relief from any pain. UnityPoint Health recommends using heat to relieve tense or tight shoulders, but caution should be taken to avoid using heat on any swollen injuries. There are also recliners with heat massage features.
- Doing Stretches & Taking Healthy Diet: Exercising regularly to stretch and strengthen your shoulder muscles can help maintain good posture, reduce muscle tightness, and improve flexibility. Eating healthy food with a balance of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients also helps to reduce shoulder pain.
How To Sit In A Recliner With Shoulder Pain?
If you have shoulder pain and want to sit in a recliner, follow these tips:
- Select a recliner that provides ample support for your back and neck, and ensure it fits your body correctly. Avoid straining your shoulders by keeping your feet on the ground and your arms relaxed on the armrests.
- If your recliner is lacking in support, consider using a cushion to support your back and neck. This can alleviate pressure on your shoulders and increase your comfort while sitting.
- Adjust the recliner to a position that suits your shoulder pain. Avoid sitting upright or reclining too far back, as both can place undue stress on your shoulders. Experiment with different angles until you find a comfortable position.
- Use a cushion or pillow to cushion your arms or elbows, as this can help relieve pressure on your shoulders and make sitting in the recliner more comfortable.
- Take frequent breaks from sitting in the recliner to alleviate discomfort. Stand up and move around, or stretch your shoulders to reduce tension and stiffness.
Exercises That Can Help Alleviate Neck And Shoulder Pain
If you experience shoulder pain while sitting or reclining in a recliner, there are some exercises that can help alleviate discomfort.
- Shoulder Rolls: Gently roll your shoulders around in circles to help loosen any tightness and reduce tension from the area.
- Neck Rolls: Roll your head in slow circles to help relax any tightness and increase blood flow.
- Shoulder Shrugs: Gently shrug your shoulders up towards your ears and then release them to help reduce stiffness.
- Neck Tilt: With your chin tilted forward, gently tilt your head to one side and then the other. This can help reduce tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Arm Crossover: Cross your arms over your chest and gently pull them back towards your body to help stretch the shoulder muscles.
For more healthy exercises and stretches, watch the below video from HASfit:
When To Seek Medical Attention?
If your shoulder pain persists despite trying the above exercises and remedies, it’s important to seek medical attention. There may be an underlying cause of the pain, such as a rotator cuff injury or arthritis. A medical professional can diagnose and treat any underlying condition that may be causing your shoulder pain.
A recliner can cause shoulder pain, but there are some steps you can take to reduce your discomfort. Ensure that your recliner provides enough support, adjust it to a comfortable position, and use cushions or pillows for extra cushioning.
You should also take breaks throughout the day to stretch and move your body. If the pain persists, seek medical attention to determine any underlying cause of the discomfort.
By following these steps, you can enjoy the comfort of a recliner while minimizing any shoulder pain.
Michael Thompson is the heart and brain behind Furniture Ruler X. With a lifelong passion for furniture design and a keen eye for quality, he embarked on a mission to simplify the often complex world of furniture shopping and care. Michael’s expertise extends beyond the written word, as he also has hands-on experience in selecting and maintaining a wide range of furniture types.
He dedicates his time to conducting meticulous research and curating invaluable content, all with the goal of helping you create comfortable and stylish living spaces. Michael’s commitment to accuracy and detail ensures Furniture Ruler X remains a trusted resource in the furniture world. Have any questions in mind?… or any recommendations? Reach Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org